BLOG

Jan 28, 2013

Cardboard bed- finished

I was very busy these days and I passed all my expectations. The bed is DONE!
Some words about final steps and decoration.
I messed up one thing, so I would like to share this mistake with you if you ever try to do cardboard furniture. Before you do any impregnation (wooden glue and water, in the first step), you should have your piece of furniture completely fixed.
When I made side parts of the bed, I have impregnated them immediately before I fixed them to the inner construction. These parts, while they were becoming dry, have distorted a bit, which could be seen on the images if you take a better look.

This doesn't affect the stablity of the bed itself, it affects a bit of visual feeling. So I decided to use smashed newspaper as the final decoration, since it was practically impossible to tear it up from the middle construction. Just cover one side of the newspaper with wooden glue mixed with water and gently press it against the part you want to cover. Use your fingers to get a bit of relief.
Here is the detailed view:




The rest of the bed I have also covered with small pieces of paper. Afterwards I did the final impregnation and let it dry completely. Whole bed is painted first with black acrylic color (you can see on the image that inner part is colored in black).



Than I used beeswax all over the bed, and mixed a red color with a bit of black. With this mixture I colored the bed. When the color was dry, I took sand paper and gently removed the red color from some parts of the bed, so the black color came up again
Here is the detailed effect I have reached using this technique:



And at the end I covered the whole bed with varnish. Now I have to wait several days until everything dries completely. In the next days I will post a new image with final decoration of the bed.




2 comments:

louisa said...

Wow!!! Thank you for your generosity!!
I love making things out of cardboard. Thank you for opening up my creative world. Have a magical Christmas.

Dragana said...

Hi Louisa, I am glad you like it.

Post a Comment